Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Camdenton, Missouri (okay, Roach...)

Julia Pfeiffer Burns National Park, CA


Julia Pfeiffer Burns National Park, CA

Julia Pfeiffer Burns National Park, CA

Good friend - Matt Knorr

More friends - Hannah, Aaron and Matt

Joint good-bye party at church (with the Children's Ministry Pastor)

Scott Bermingham (tech director @ church / friend) and me

Good-bye BBQ: Girls from Bible Study--Amy V., Bethanie, and Amy D.

Wonderful friends (who did the BBQ for me): Mike and Nan Madding

With Dad on my 25th birthday (El Paso, TX)

My apartment building on the left (MTC--Missionary Training Center--Missouri)


Where I take a shower and do laundry--lots of fun!


View of Lake of the Ozarks (on campus)

The lake...

My apartment (312--door on the left)


So, I'm still in denial about the name here... I can't really call it a city or a town; it's Roach, but the nearby town is Camdenton, and that just sounds so much better. :)
Let me back up... I left Atascadero at the beginning of August; my mom and I drove to El Paso, TX, where my parents live. I spent a little over one week there, during which time I celebrated my 25th birthday. Hard to believe--a quarter of a century! Okay, maybe it's not that big of a milestone, but there's something about 25 that feels significant.
Mom and I drove out here to Missouri and arrived exactly one week ago. I have actually lived on this campus before, but I guess I had forgotten the reality of tiny apartments, heat and humidity, dirt roads, and walking to the "Wash House" to take a shower and do laundry. It was a bit of a shock, and I am still trying to adjust. We had pretty heavy rain for a few days, and that created MUCK, as they call it here. Lugging my computer back and forth to class in pouring rain on a dirt road is definitely a stretch for the old attitude. :)
I had two days of orientation, and then today was our first day of classes. My schedule is basically this: 8 AM to 12 PM--Class; 2:30 to 5 PM (Mon.-Wed.)--Work Detail. In addition, I have a one-hour discipleship session once a week, and we're all encouraged to get involved in a local church and a local outreach.
I can't say that the transition is easy. I struggle with new places and new people. I really miss Atascadero--especially the church and everyone I came to love there. I know it will take some time to settle in here, and I would appreciate your prayers as I endeavor to persevere.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Toplovs said...

Esther, change is never easy and I'll be praying for this transition. I liked your humor about calling work detail 'campus ministry.'

Oh and of course I notice details...so I wanted to say I really do like your new hair cut (now sure how new it is to you) and happy 25 to you. I'll be 26 in a couple of days here. Ah!!!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esther, I miss you!!!! I'm secretly glad that maybe you might miss us a little bit too. Change of course is never easy and it always seems like things weren't this bad before, but that's because we've moved down the road of life and the not so good fades (like childbirth). Anyway I hope you are by now settling in and things are going better. Where is the park where the ocean pictures were taken. They are beautiful. I don't have your email so I'm blogging you. Email me or call me anytime you want. (805-610-8753) Love you, Dorie P.S. The closer it gets to going to India the more nervous I get. I keep thinking I must be crazy, what am I thinking. If you think of it please pray while I'm gone. thanks

4:31 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Spring Corley said...

Hey there,
Yes, I think the shower and laundry situation would be hard. I've started hanging clothes out on a line and that's even difficult - funny thinking that I use to ALWAYS hang clothes on a line and take super short showers before moving to the States. Do you have to share your apartment?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Peco. said...

Wow... other people write long posts. Glad to see you made it to Roach.

7:36 PM  
Blogger aubrey payne said...

girl, glad to hear you made it to ROACH! keep ur chin up, tiger! :) we're prayin' for ya.
happy 25!!!!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home